Gå til hovedindhold (Tryk Enter)

Border Poles and Border Stones

It is still possible to see traces in the country of the old border.

In the municipality of Esbjerg there are still 11 border stones at different places. Border stone number 1 marks the old border in Spækbro, and the borderstone has been recycled for tombstones in several cemeteries.

The border at Sprækbro, west of the Kongeå-border. Photo: Charlotte Lindhardt.

Border Poles and Border Stones

During the winter of 1864-1865, 128 border poles were placed along the new Kongeå River Border. The poles were made of wood and painted white by Danish carpenters. While no. 1 was placed next to Sprækbro, Hejlsminde was given no. 128. The distance between the poles varied from 100 to 1500 m, depending on the terrain.

Border adjustments

The number of border poles increased from 128 to 131. No. 22a was added east of Varminglund in 1885, due to the lack of visibility between nos. 22 and 23. In 1887, no. 7, which was situated next to Vester-Hviding Station, was divided amongst 7a, 7b and 7c.

Border stones

Several of the poles were placed in streams and began to rot. While the poles were replaced on an ongoing basis, and from 1891 to 1915, they were replaced with granite poles made by a stonemason and sculptor, C. Schwartz, in the then German town of Haderslev. The stones were inscribed with Kr. Dm. (Kingdom of Denmark) one side and Kr. Pr. (Kingdom of Prussia) on the other.

Grænsesten nr. 1 fra den tyske side. Med sort er indgraveret Kr. Pr. No 1 for Kongeriget Preussen. Foto: Charlotte Lindhardt.Grænsesten nr. 1 står ved Sprækbro ved siden af Ribediget. På den nordlige side er med rødt indgraveret for Kongeriget Danmark: Kr. Dm. No 1.


11 border stones are still to be found in different locations within Esbjerg Municipality.

'); }