Located in three rooms in farm owner Petersen’s residence in Obbekær, Obbekær Border Customs Office opened in 1865. However, the office lacked a kitchen and a couple of months later the customs officer moved into Parish Executive Officer Hans Jørgen Hansen’s former herdsman’s home, which also had enough space for a gendarme family. In 1870, the Parish Executive Officer built a customs building in his garden, a building that still exists today at Toldvej 3.
Fæstedhede Reporting Post opened on 1 March 1905. Situated on the roadside between Fæsted Mose and Kamtrup, Danish citizens could register their tax-free goods here.
Obbekær was small parish in terms of population figures, comparatively speaking. In 1870, the parish contained 156 inhabitants - 84 men and 72 women. Of these, 17 (both children and adults) worked for the customs and border services. Except for a schoolteacher, a tailor, a tailor’s assistant and a seamstress, the remaining inhabitants lived off the land.