The customs border office in Klåby was organised under Egebæk Border Duties Collection Office until 1 April 1901, and subsequently under the Customs House in Ribe.
The customs border office in Klåby was closed down on 1 April 1914 and replaced by a reporting post, where one only registered the incoming and outgoing transport of legal goods.
The customs office was located in Klåbygård for the first few months in 1865. Here, the customs service rented a room that both acted as a residence and customs office, until October 1865, at which point a house was built on Klåbygård’s land on Roagervej. The house had 10 rooms distributed between 2 apartments for the customs’ assistant and his family and the unwed border gendarmes. The customs service paid an annual rent of 250 DKK to Klåbygård.
It was not until 1902, that it became possible for rank-and-file border gendarmes to marry. At that point, a widows’ pension fund was founded, with a view to providing the widows of deceased border gendarmes with financial support. Up until then, officers had been the only ones able to marry. Before doing so, they had to put up 1600 DKK as collateral for their widow and children, if any, in the event that the officer died.